White Chocolate, Raspberry, and Almond Molasses Brunettes






Sometimes you start out with one thing, and end up with something completely different at the end. While that seems to be the story of my life, this "cake" is the perfect example. I was scrambling to make last minute blondies to bring to a dinner at a friend's house and quickly started assembling the ingredients. I had just used up the last of my reserves of brown sugar and didn't have much time to run out to the corner deli. Aha! Why not make my own brown sugar? Dusting off my jar of molasses from Christmas (whoops...lol) I added it to my regular white sugar. Except I added too much. Sigh. With no time to spare, I continued with the recipe. When I arrived at my friend house, I soon learned that they didn't like blondies. At all. Breathing a sigh of relief, we all took turns tasting these blondies turned "brunette." The molasses is the biggest difference, making them moist and gooey with a layer of raspberry and crunchy almonds in the mixture. I would definitely add more white chocolate, since they seemed to have dissolved. In the end, while things don't go as planned, it work outs in the end. Good to know.





White Chocolate, Raspberry, and Almond Molasses Brunettes

2 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
14 tablespoons/ 1 1/2 stick + 2 tablespoons of butter
2 cups of white granulated sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
3 large eggs
1 cup of slivered almonds
1 cup of white chocolate pieces ( I would add more as the molasses tends to overpower the white chocolate)
1 cup of raspberry preserves


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter two 9x9 pans or one 10x15 pan.
2. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Cream butter, sugar, and molasses. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time. Mix well after each addition.
4. Incorporate flour mixture with the wet ingredient. Add almonds and white chocolate pieces and mix well.
5. Spread half the batter and swirl in raspberry puree. Add the rest of the batter. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and devour.


2 comments:

Dracozombie said...

Fanny thought up a brilliant name for these bad boys: Brunettes.

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM
Johana said...

I changed it! I can't believe neither of you like blondies. Good thing they didn't turn out :)

August 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Post a Comment