Sour & Sweet: Lemon Tea Bread


One of the good things about this bread is the glaze, which leaves the top part incredibly moist and sweet. Yum!


Last month was the final goodbye for my internship at Good Housekeeping Institute. Feeling nostalgic, I flipped open the Good Housekeeping Cookbook and naturally went over to the back where the desserts, fruits, and quick breads were listed. Thumbing through the pages, I was looking for a quick and simple recipe to try. I adore cookbooks, and before allowing it to grace my bookshelf, I have to make something from it. I just can't help it, I get so excited! People read comics, I read cookbooks for fun. Scanning the pages, I immediately picked the lemon tea bread. After my initial success with lemon bars (recipe and post coming soon!), I have been searching for the next lemon recipe to satisfy my mouth with some sour pucker-punch.







Lemon Tea Bread

Bread
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
8 ounces (1 container) of sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, melted
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Glaze
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5 metal loaf pan and dust with flour.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk sugar and eggs until blended. Add to this mixture sour cream, butter, lemon peel, and lemon juice and stir until incorporated. Combine the wet ingredients to flour mixture and fold until blended and no streaks of flour remain.
3. Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake for approximately 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack.
4. For the glaze: Stir together sugar and lemon juice. Using a skewer, poke holes in the hot bread and brush bread with glaze. Cool bread completely in pan.


This bread is just honest, simple and good. As the name implies, it goes great with tea.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks so good =) I'm def going to try it over the weekend!

June 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM
Anonymous said...

This tasted great! I enjoyed eating this bite after bite without losing any free falling crumbs. The glaze that kept the outside a bit crunchy, yet maintaining the sponginess of the inside, was really surprising.

June 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Post a Comment