Blueberry Crisp




The best way to enjoy summer is to make a dessert made from fruit. While I tricked myself into believing this blueberry crisp was healthy (it is!), I was busy getting my fill of Vitamin C to really care. Desserts containing fruits never used to entice me, being the chocolate fiend that I am, but working on my children's literature final project forced me to actually try a recipe. I was working on a cookbook and I thought this blueberry crisp would be a great match for the classic children's book Blueberries for Sal. Does anyone else remember the story of Sal "helping" her mother by picking blueberries and encountering a bear cub? Ah, youth.


The ingredients and preparation for this dessert is simple and straightforward. Let's just say, and I am not saying this lightly, it is incredibly good. I made it at midnight in a 9x9 baking dish, and by 7AM the next morning, the glass baking dish was scraped clean by my tendency to "have a little more." Still not convinced? Imagine warm, sweet and bubbling caramelized blueberries with a sprinkle of a buttery sugar crumb on top AND on top of that, icy cold and creamy vanilla ice cream. Told ya.




Blueberry Crisp


1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup and 1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons cornstarch

vanilla ice cream (not really optional)

whipped cream (ditto)


1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

2. Combine the flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture and blend with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

3. Sprinkle lemon juice over the berries and mix. Combine 1/4 cup of sugar and cornstarch and sprinkle over berries and lightly toss to coat.

4. Spoon berries into a 8x8 pan coated with butter or cooking spray. Sprinkle crumb mixture over berries.

5. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.

6. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or with whipped cream



2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

love your blog and your motto! I say, Life is short, eat dessert first! and I will def be trying out this crumble recipe, yay for fresh blueberry season!

July 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Johana said...

Thank you! I agree, let me know how it turns out :)

July 10, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Post a Comment